Monday, June 20, 2016

Get Thee to a Conference!



The first post of a new blog is supposed to be some sort of "welcome, this is who I am, this is what the blog is going to be about" thing. And there is value in doing that, so I will. Eventually. But right this minute I need to write about something else. There will be time and days for introductions because this is a personal process and I will be revealed (I hope honestly) in the days to come.

Today, though, I want to write about The Gospel Coalition Women's conference that wrapped up in Indianapolis on Saturday. More than 7200 women from all 50 states and 38 different countries attended (hearing 7200 women singing is enough to make your heart almost burst with joy). 

The unique value of attending one of these conferences is not the information provided. You can read books, watch videos, listen to sermons -- all without leaving home. And if you don't leave home you save money and aren't exhausted after the conference is over!

Information is good -- and so is saving money and energy. And we are incredibly blessed because podcasts offer us the opportunity to hear excellent preaching anytime we want. This is especially valuable for folks who cannot attend conferences due to time, money, health, logistics, or other reasons.

But if you can go -- oh, if you can go! The unique value -- the power -- of a conference like this one is the synergy produced by 7200 women (and the Holy Spirit!) coming together to worship one Father, one Son, one Spirit, one God. 

There is value in getting away -- leaving your family, your duties, your distractions, your "real life," and for a brief moment in time sampling a foretaste of glory (which will not have all the walking in inappropriate shoes and the exhaustion, please God!). To be surrounded by women who love Jesus, love his people, and long to do the work of the kingdom more effectively, to hear thousands of voices lifted in praise, to get to know and love your sisters better -- all of this happens on a different level at a conference.

The pre-conference (what does that even mean?) talks were by Tim and Kathy Keller and let us know right away that we were in for a glorious three days. Keller has meant so much to me over the years both through his writing and now his sermons (get the Redeemer app and listen to him as much as you want!). To finally be in the same room as him was an exciting prospect. He spoke about prayer, about Jesus as friend, and he was -- well, he was wonderful. I had never heard (or even seen a picture of) his wife Kathy, but I enjoyed her thoroughly. She has a little bit of an edge to her -- she's sharp and smart and throughout her talk I kept thinking that it's clear that I have to move to New York so that we can be best friends. Watching the two of them interact was a gift. I may be blown away by Tim, but she certainly is not. The love between the two of them is palpable and reminded me of the relationship I have with Bruce: Tim was sweet and respectful and Kathy teased him the entire time. (This is just one more reason why I think we are supposed to be best friends.)

The conference theme was I Peter. Jen Wilkin (who spoke and was hilarious) has a nine-week I Peter study that I'd done in preparation for this event, so I was primed and immersed and really ready to have my heart and spirit and mind expanded. The book was divided into sections that were assigned to various speakers (John Piper! Don Carson!!!) and believe me when I say there was not a dud in the bunch. Each speaker touched me, gave me insights and plenty to chew on.

There were smaller workshops that we'd registered for ahead of time. I listened to Jennifer Marshall of The Heritage Foundation and RTS speak about "Sojourner Citizens: Why, What and How to Engage in Public Life Together" and Mindy Belz of WORLD Magazine on "Standing Beside the Persecuted Church." There was a book store with deeply discounted books and exhibitors -- seminaries, publishers, mission groups, etc. There were small concerts, focus groups, a prayer room.

And -- not the least valuable thing -- I spent time with two friends who are dearer to me than they were a week ago. Susan and Kathleen were fun, funny, smart, challenging -- a blast to travel with. (But if there was any justice in the world Susan would weigh 900 pounds.)

So here's the deal. There are different wonderful conferences coming down the pike all the time and I'm sure you would be blessed by (almost) any that you attend (you would be discerning, of course). This one has my heart, though. It's an every-other-year event. If you save $5 a week starting now, you'll have the conference and all of your expenses paid for (or be awfully close) by the time the next one rolls around. I'm getting ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment